There was a time in my life where I used to go into a makeup store and buy items I liked the look of. It was all based on what it looked like – not what it was for or how much it was. It’s fair to say that it was a time in my life where I spent way too much money on makeup. Fast forward a few years to now and I know what to buy for my skin and my preferences with makeup. I don’t walk into a store and pick up a handful of things on a whim.
Here’s a few tips on how not to find the right products for you.
- Pick up a bottle of foundation, concealer or any base that looks like your shade. You wouldn’t really walk out of a clothing store without trying a pair of shoes or a new item of clothing on would you? Well, the same goes for base products. Try it out and test it on your skin then go back if you think it looks good. It’s great if you get to know if you are warm or cool toned too. I’m still trying to figure that one out but I know that I’m normally an ivory shade when it comes to base products.
- If they don’t have it in your shade, buy another one that’s close to it. So many times I’ve fallen fool to this – in the past, of course! If a makeup store doesn’t have your shade or the colour you want, don’t buy any other shade because you’ll be disappointed. Patience, m’dear works wonders.
- Try what everyone else likes because you’ll definitely like it too. Everyone has different makeup likes and dislikes. I like a matte look most days, while others prefer a dewy look. Others like a subtle lip, some like a bold lip. Everyone is unique in their makeup styles. And that’s okay. If someone really loves a product, I’ll go and have a look at it and test it for myself. I won’t buy it unless I like it though. It’s what you like, not what others are loving. I’m all for makeup trends, but if you don’t like it, don’t buy it. Simple.
- Let people push you into buying things. There’s a new makeup product out or there’s an offer on – but you don’t really want to spend too much money because you are saving. But they’re being pushed in your face and you feel like you have to buy these things. You don’t. If you don’t want to buy it, don’t.
- Stick to one brand. I used to stick to one brand and then one day I decided to try out another – and hey it’s one of my favourite brands now. If you don’t feel comfortable stepping out of a brand you love then try a sample of another foundation – you don’t have to buy it.
- Forget to ask for samples. Samples are a great way to test out a makeup item especially foundation. You can use the testers or you can ask for a sachet sample at some higher end brands. It can be a little daunting at first but once you have a sample you can see whether you like it. If you don’t like it, then that’s okay because you haven’t splurged!
- Go out without doing your research. Get into the habit of doing research, even just a little bit can help. Research helps you understand the product better and it means you’re more informed about what you’re buying. A little bit of research works wonders! That’s what I did when buying some new makeup brushes and I’m glad I did!
If you follow the opposite of these examples: test products, only buy if you like it and you want to, try new brands, get samples and do your research then you’ll definitely be on your way to buying the right products for you.
What tips do you have? Let me know in the comments section below or on my social media accounts.