Being interested in beauty is a long term thing, once you love beauty, it’s hard to not keep it up! I’ve been interested in beauty – makeup, haircare and skincare for a few years now and I wish I’d known a few things looking back in hindsight. Here’s five things I’d wish known about each before I became interested in beauty as a whole!
- You don’t have to go all out when you start out. The essentials are enough – foundation, powder, blusher, eyeshadow, eyeliner and mascara are enough to start out with.
- You can wait to buy big brands. You don’t need to splash out on MAC, Benefit or Dior when you first start out. High street brands are just as good as high end brands. You’ll get there, just don’t jump straight in.
- Have some idea of what you like and don’t like. Getting your makeup right takes a lot of trial and error. Experimentation is key. Doing your research even before you go into the store.
- It’s great to try out testers before buying something. I’ve learnt the hard way too many times when simply buying on impulse – and check out the product before you buy it to make sure it isn’t damaged – I’ve fallen foul to that one too!
- Try different brands out once in a while. I’ve stuck with some brands since I started and although I don’t regret it, I don’t really want to come out of my comfort zone. I love the products I use now.
- Make sure you buy products that will actually take care of your hair. I’ve been through so many bad hair stages – greasy, dry, frizzy – I’ve had many problems. I tried so many products that didn’t work for my hair and made it worse. Do you research!
- Don’t straighten your hair everyday – or if you must use a heat protection spray as it works wonders! Two tips in one here, but your hair is just as important in your beauty regime so look after it.
- Get good quality shampoo and conditioner, plus a hair mask if you think you need one. Spending money on good quality products is worth it in my opinion – especially with my hair.
- Get a regular trim. Split ends are my nightmare and have been since my teenage years. I try to get a trim every 8 weeks or so just to keep my hair in good condition. I know it’s costly, but it’s worth it for me.
- Make a haircare regime and stick to it. Everyone’s hair is different so find a regime that works for you. I shampoo my hair 3/4 times a week, condition twice and use my hair mask once a week. I also use products when I blow dry and/or straighten my hair.
- Make sure you know your skin type – dry, combination, normal or oily. It’s also great to know if you have sensitive skin, acne/spot-prone skin etc. I had to do weeks of research – and I mean weeks. I had no clue. Just make sure to do your research – read articles and watch Youtube videos. It helped me a lot.
- Your skin is different during the different seasons so take that into account. My skin is dryer in the winter than it is in the summer so I take that into account when buying my products.
- Somedays you may not want to do a full skincare regime so buy products that do multiple things i.e. micellar water, cleansing makeup wipes etc.
- Know the essentials – you don’t need loads of products – a cleanser, toner and moisturer are three great products to start off with.
- Don’t get too bogged down on getting expensive brands because you’ll need to try out different products to find out what you like best. Start high street then move to high end – that’s what I did anyway.
What do you wish you’d known before getting interested in beauty? Do you have any tips?
Let me know in the comments section or on my social media accounts.