Many of us have been beginners in the skincare arena – I must admit I still am a beginner. Before I started having a skin care routine, I remember trailing through hundreds of articles and YouTube videos trying to find the answer to what skin care items I needed and what type of skin I had. I struggled to find something suited to me so this week’s Sassy Saturday post is about skin care items for beginners.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Face wipes – The first step to taking off your makeup is face wipes. You can get them from different brands such as Simple and Nivea. Some shops have their own brand too if you want to take that option. If you don’t want to use wipes then you can use Micellar Water. It also doubles up as a cleanser.
- A cleanser – You may be thinking, what’s a cleanser? To put it simply, it helps get the makeup off your face even more. It opens up and unclogs your pores too, ready for your toner.
- A toner – Having a toner in your skin care routine is a great thing – especially if you have oily skin. I don’t have oily skin, but I use a toner to give my face an extra cleanse since I use sunscreen on my face. A toner has so many benefits, in my opinion. If in doubt, ask someone when you go shopping!
- An exfoliator – An exfoliator is used to brush away dead skin cells – I know – ewww! It acts as an abrasive and buffs away skin cells making your skin feel smoother. It also helps with the next step – BUT you shouldn’t exfoliate everyday!
- A moisturiser – Moisturising adds moisture back into your skin. I needn’t say more.
- A face mask – This may not be an essential for everyone, but a mask once a week is a treat. Different types of masks benefit the skin in different ways. Reading the packet will help you decide.
These are my essentials and there are more products that you can buy, but these are my essential skin care items for beginners. There’s other creams and serums which are a little more advanced. Plus, you don’t want to overload your skin straight away!
What are your beginner skincare items? What did you wish you’d known when you started your skin care routine?
Let me know in the comments below or on my social media accounts.