*Disclaimer* – I am not a medically trained professional therefore if you are concerned about your mental health or another person’s mental health then please seek professional advice. This is from what I know from my own personal experience of the disorder.
As well as having OCD, I have anxiety. My OCD and my anxiety link together to form one diagnosis of anxiety related OCD, but in fact, I have three mental health problems – health anxiety, social anxiety and OCD. I thought I’d also do a 10 things you should know about health anxiety. Next week I’ll do a 10 things you should know about social anxiety post because I want people to understand what it’s like to have different types of anxiety.
Trigger warning – discusses subjects that can trigger health anxiety.
- Health anxiety is also known as “hypochondria” but people don’t use that term medically anymore.
- The worry is overwhelming. People with health anxiety constantly worry about their health.
- Health anxiety can cause people to worry about their present health thinking it is something serious or can cause people to worry about their future health.
- It can be linked to other mental health problems such as anxiety or depression.
- Health anxiety involves checking or avoiding things that are believed to cause illness for example watching health documentaries or TV shows.
- This disorder can link in closely with OCD because of the checking “rituals”.
- People may often go to the doctors a lot if they have health anxiety or may seek reassurance from others.
- Therapy and medication can help manage the disorder.
- Hypochondria is a long term mental health condition that can last for years.
- It can consume your daily life if the disorder is severe.
I hope you know a little bit more about the disorder, if you have any questions feel free to comment below.